[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Jake Song jake at ncinteractive.com
Fri Jun 1 18:04:11 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trump" <trump at vividvideo.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

> I'm not sure how to say this without it comming off as being
> extremely rude.  I guess I'll just state upfront that I'm really
> just curious.

>   Author: Dirtybob Topic: ROFL, lineage the blood pledge

>   posted 28-05-2001 01:28 PM

>   I played for 4 minutes and decided game was beyond garbage.

>   I've found this to be the general reaction among US gamers.  I
>   played lineage for a few days and would describe it as an
>   "Unfinished UO Clone"

> So, I'm wondering what factors caused this game to become so popular
> in Korea.  Is it that the Korean version is much better documented?
> English documentation is, at best, poor.

Several factors I can think of:

  - There were only one serious competitor in the market when Lineage
  was first introduced "Nexus: the Kingdom". Lineage was better in
  graphics and game play(ex. more responsive).

  - In early days, Lineage was quite a simple game. You just click on
  monsters, kill them, pick up items and use them also by clicking on
  inventory window. It appealed to game room users who are generally
  computer/game novices.

  - Other competitors generally had problems when the number of
  simultaneous users reaches around 300 to 500. We had overcome that
  and provided a stable services.

  - Game itself supported/encouraged team play through blood pledges.
  It's well fitted to game room situation.

  - We upgraded/updated constantly like every 2-3 months which make
  the users wait the next update and not be bored.

  - In character creation screen, there is a brief description about
  the class, what's the long term goal of the character, etc. which
  direct the user what to do as he/she enters the game.

>  Is it that there is some > sort of monopoly going on, and UO isnt
>  available in Korea?  Are turned > off by games made in the US
>  because of the language barrier?

UO is available in Korea(same to EQ, AC). It was in English but
recently EA has localized it.  Yes, language barrier is a big problem
because general game room users hate English. EA ignored game room
market for a while (ex. game rooms should buy UO packages and a serial
number in the box could be used only for one user which is
unacceptable in shared PC environment like game rooms). Nowadays they
are selling some kind of time coupons. Still it is unfavourable to end
users because they have to pay extra for it in addition to the game
room charges.  To remedy this, they should develope a billing system
for game rooms but I doubt EA will do this.

> Is the endgame totally different than the early content? Anyone who
> is in the know care to elaborate?

Current version is somewhat different from early versions. Something
remained something changed and something added.

Jake