Korea, was [MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

SavantKnowsAll at cs.com SavantKnowsAll at cs.com
Wed Jun 6 01:08:21 CEST 2001

In a message dated 6/5/01 2:15:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Dave at Nexon.com
writes:

>   From my workload point of view, it was 10% localization, 30%
>   operation, and 60% new game design.  I localized and designed
>   for the titles mentioned above.  If it had been mostly
>   localization and operation, then I would have had a whole lot
>   more free time on my hands for the past three years.  :)

Ah, my perceptions were off then.  Coincidentally, how well are the
Nexon titles doing in the US compared to how they did/are doing in
Korea?  I've got some interesting theories on a) the success factor
in both here and Korea, b) the opportunities for crossover success,
but it's still based upon minimal research and figures.

>  Since March, I've been lead game designer of a new
>  Korean-American developed game, and worked in the Korea office
>  for two months, and currently speak with members of the team who
>  visit the US.  This project, though, no one would have heard
>  about yet.

You and I share a lot in common.  Localization alone can be a chore,
but redesigning can be quite the burden.  I've been asked to
consider going to Korea for 3 months to work on Fallen Age with our
team and the Korea team together, and I might just take it up --
It'll be quite the learning experience to go to the Internet Cafe's
in person and study the culture and behaviors in person.

Do you have two separate teams working on the new title?  If so, how
are the communication and time difference issues playing out?

Daniel Manachi