[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

David Loeser daklozar at home.com
Wed Jun 6 01:11:14 CEST 2001

It seems to me that a player run reputation system should be based
on how other people see, or what they think of, an individual.

Using UO, one example of could be when you are killed by another
player (PK) and you are presented with the bounty dialog - instead
of bounties (or in addition to), the (dead) player would be given
the opportunity to decrease the assailants reputation points.  This
would/could eliminate the rampant voting scheme someone mentioned in
another post.

If a player run reputation system or any kind of reputation system
be it NPC based or other should have an effect on ever player in the
game.  Two players, one a valiant warrior who is well respected in
much of the land would probably get treated with a bit more
reverence than a player that is a known murderer.  An example (which
may not stand up) is the well respected player would receive free
drinks at the town pub - and the murderer may be charged. (Then
again, the murderer may get free drinks as well :)

I think there are many areas in mud/MMORPG development that haven't
been expanded on to any degree.  Of the next generation of
commercial MMORPGs to hit the market, Shadowbane seems to be the
standout while the others (I'm referring to the midevil period
games) seem to be "Me too's."

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser