[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 08:10:38 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Stevens" <listsub at wickedgrey.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 4:01 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

> So, I like 3rd person.  It doesn't try and represent something it
> cannot (full vision), and instead just gives me a picture of what
> is going on...

And in games where you might get snuck up on, it lets you see behind
you :) (...recalls memories of "creative use" of 3rd person
perspective to get an advantage over 1st-person opponents during
Quake games).

Personally, though, from a design point of view, I think it gives
you one key sensory input that 1P doesn't: it lets you see what your
character is doing. You can do impressive magic effects, or an
impressive flurry of moves with your lightsaber, and actually SEE
the effect yourself, rather than get blinded by lots of coloured
lights going off just in front of your vision, or just watch the
background blur as your character spins in a circle.

For a demo, fire up Unreal Tournament, download one of the OTT
patches (which have ridiculously overpowered weapons), make your
character model the War Cow, and then switch to the "spinning
chainsaw samurai sword" attack, and see what difference it makes in
1P and 3P!!!

(or try any of the more unusual character models, like the massive
alien, and notice that in 1P you forget what you look like after 30
seconds, whereas in 3P you're constantly reminded of your own huge
presence on screen)

Adam M