[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 08:22:56 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Hook" <bwh at wksoftware.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

> The obvious difference is that we don't get to choose who we are
> in real life.  This is the argument used for "real" role-playing
> where you're given a random character.  Hell, there's no point in
> giving point allocation, because the real world doesn't operate
> that way.

> As much as I abhor that concept (it fundamentally poo-poos the
> concept of balance because, hey, life isn't fair), it DOES force
> you to role-play quite a bit more.  If your average ability score
> is 10 and you're a halfling warrior, well, personality and RP is
> about all you have going for you =)

Indeed. The first time I truly roleplayed well was when myself and
the other player both roled very badly for generating our thieves,
and both put about 6 in our intelligence scores, since the 15, 12
had to go in dex, con (or we'd really have been in trouble).

We were the most appallingly dumb and pretty inept pair of thieves
the world had ever seen. Great fun though.

Adam M.