[MUD-Dev] Buying benefits [was Re: business models]

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Wed Jun 6 09:17:23 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly wrote on Tuesday, June 05 2001, 18:32:33:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Matt Chatterley wrote:

>> I first encountered Lockers many years ago on one of my first
>> Muds, which was an old strain of LPMud. Back then, you could hire
>> one for X gold per day (enough gold to be out of reach for a
>> couple of levels, but then easily affordable). They let you store
>> your kit between logins, but weren't reboot-safe. Since reboots
>> were weekly or thereabouts, you could spend a bit of time at the
>> start of the week building up your kit, and not have to requip
>> for several logins, unless you broke things or wanted to upgrade.

> When I first asked, this is what I was really referring to. Why
> does equipment disappear on reboot? I don't understand that as a
> design decision.

Part of the answer to this are technical problems. Classic LP
drivers were and still are notoriously bad at persisting object
state on external storage. It can be done, but has to be designed
into the mudlib right from the start if you want to be able to
persist any and every object. Most mudlibs didn't have that kind of
infrastructure (and a lot of wizards wouldn't have had the
discipline to use it either).

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc