The Permadeath of PvP (was RE: Hiding the Numbers (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Wed Jun 6 09:18:31 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Mihaly
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 9:08 PM
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: RE: Hiding the Numbers (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

> I do not buy that explorers or socializers are necessarily in
> competition with each other.

I agree, Matt.  The belief that all four quadrants are into
competition is simply a killer/achiever way of looking at it.  I'd
suggest that many of those currently working on commercial MUDs fall
into the killer/achiever category, and share this opinion of
explorers and socializers.  It might explain why we have a swatch of
worlds coming out that emphasize PvP (DAoC, Shadowbane, etc.)
despite the apparently low percentage of players who actually play
PvP in current games.  The answer to the low PvP seems to be "They
did it wrong.  We'll do it right."  I'd argue that no more than the
same 20% or lower -want- somebody to do it right.  The others simply
don't want PvP.

Lee