[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 6 12:02:06 CEST 2001

Tuesday, June 05, 2001, 6:11:16 PM, Phillip Lenhardt wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 04:58:04PM -0400, Travis Casey wrote:

>> Talk to the old D&D grognards

> Slightly off-topic, but: old D&D players can be called "grognards"
> now? ;) Last time I used that term, it only applied to the old
> Napoleonics buffs that used to take up all the floor space at
> conventions and game stores with their figs and dioramas; all the
> while casting dire glares at us punk kids playing D&D at the
> corner table.

After twenty-five years, I think they can.  :-) These days, most D&D
players have never even seen an original D&D set...

I've seen the term used in that way by others -- basically, it's a
generalization of the application to wargamers to mean something
like "geezer[1] who likes to reminisce about the 'good old days' of
game X".

[1] Geezer, in this case, meaning anyone significantly older than the
person using the term.

> Slightly on-topic: maybe we should start calling all the early
> text mudders "mud grognards"? :)

Sure... might as well.

--
Travis Casey