[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Freeman Freeman
Thu Jun 7 14:40:38 CEST 2001

> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

> Hypothetical: I have a MUD where _everything_ is based on what
> equipment my character has.

In that case, I'd say the player doesn't have a character that could
suffer permadeath in the first place.

> Pretty useless definition, no offence. If you quibble with the
> name thing, then you'd down to simply claiming that changing
> someone's name is sufficient for having permadeath.

Ok, so there's no word to describe what we've been talking about.
Permadeath is impossible to implement because the players next
character might inherit something that his previous character owned.

Say I pay you to bake me a muffin.  But then I die and everything
about my character is deleted, including all his possessions and
property. I make a new character and you say, "Here's your muffin."
Ah ha!  I live again.  I *am* my muffin.

So when someone says permadeath is a really bad idea, we should all
just say there's no such thing as permadeath anyway, so it doesn't
really matter whether it is a bad idea or not.

I think this will make communication difficult, but it should cut
down on the debates, I guess.