[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jun 7 17:12:24 CEST 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Madman Across the Water wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> I agree with Chris. Using your meaning, permadeath means
>> nothing. What is a character for instance? If my long-time
>> character

> No? Skill? NPC associations, if any exist in the game?

> I think the fundamental problem is in your question: "what is a
> character?" I don't think my inventory is part of my
> character. I'll just say at this point that I agree pretty much
> across the board with Jeff's estate-centric comments.

Hypothetical: I have a MUD where _everything_ is based on what
equipment my character has. Upon death, a character gets his name
changed but keeps _everything_ else (because it's all based on
equipment and in your view loss of equipment is not necessary for
permadeath). Funnily enough though, my "new" character happens to
have the same name as my old one (nothing odd about that. I know
lots of people also named 'Matt.') It's not the same character
though, because his database entry is different. Everything else
just happens to be exactly the same. So, nothing has changed from
the point of view of the player. yet this seems to fit your
definition of permadeath. Pretty useless definition, no offence. If
you quibble with the name thing, then you'd down to simply claiming
that changing someone's name is sufficient for having permadeath.

--matt