[MUD-Dev] Player control of NPCs

Mordengaard mordengaard at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 7 17:18:14 CEST 2001

I'm considering implementing a system whereby players with
sufficient rank/position can be put in charge of NPCs or groups of
NPCs, giving them orders either via direct commands (says, tells,
that kind of thing) or through other NPCs (runners, buglers etc).
This would allow me to have sheriffs who can set up the patrols of
his deputies and watchmen, generals with control over whole armies
of men, necromancers with hordes of undead, etc.  Does anyone,
either through experience or imagination, have any advice for me, or
know of any pitfalls that I should avoid?

Mordengaard (Yhared MUD)