[MUD-Dev] Player control of NPCs

Matt Chatterley mpchatty at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 23:01:40 CEST 2001

> From: "Mordengaard" <mordengaard at btinternet.com>
> To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
> Subject: [MUD-Dev] Player control of NPCs
> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:18:14 +0100

> I'm considering implementing a system whereby players with
> sufficient rank/position can be put in charge of NPCs or groups of
> NPCs, giving them orders either via direct commands (says, tells,
> that kind of thing) or through other NPCs (runners, buglers etc).
> This would allow me to have sheriffs who can set up the patrols of
> his deputies and watchmen, generals with control over whole armies
> of men, necromancers with hordes of undead, etc.  Does anyone,
> either through experience or imagination, have any advice for me,
> or know of any pitfalls that I should avoid?

Interesting. To add to this, I intend to have semi-controllable NPCs
who can be hired/bought - mercenaries. Hence you could hire the
theif/warrior/archer that your adventuring group lacks, before you
head out on that particular quest.

This seems a good way to augment small groups, and also to allow
players to top up on 'firepower' in a good, temporary way (also
provides a bit of a change from standard gameplay, having an NPC
that fights /with/ you).

-Matt