[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Fri Jun 8 13:09:33 CEST 2001

Sender: mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:13:12 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>

> Then you don't need a reputation system at all. :) You can size
> them up in the traditional way, by getting to know them and
> talking to people who have interacted with them.

> Reputation systems, whether intentionally or not, fill one need
> very specifically--they help work around the inconstancy of
> communication that is present in large groups and in virtual
> environments, more rapidly disseminating information on social
> standing. That's what eBay ratings do, that's what UO's murder
> counts do, and that's what any mud application of Advogato would
> do. What else would you use it for?

NPC interaction.  I really like the idea of NPC behavior towards a
player being at least somewhat dependent on that player's local
reputation.  Thic could vary from shopowners varying prices,
refusing to serve an individual, offering services they otherwise
wouldn't, requesting help/offering quests, to things as extreme as
monsters being willing to work for a sufficiently evil individual
instead of attacking him -- when the UO project was first announced,
my dream was to roleplay an evil char, recruit a bunch of monsters
and hole up somewhere, in effect creating my own "dungeon."

To a lesser degree, I grant that it is valuable for player
interaction, as gaming doesn't offer all the physical cues we depend
on in the real world.  But in that respect I don't feel it a
sufficiently worthwhile exchange for the nonimmersive effect it has
on the game.

Sean