[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Madman Across the Water burra at alum.rpi.edu
Sat Jun 9 18:06:50 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> But all those things change, just like my equipment.

Perhaps a line could be drawn at: the equipment has a "physical"
(within the context of the world) existence apart from the
character. Skills, stats, flags, etc, do not. While they change,
they cannot be transfered from one character to another the way
equipment can.

Yes, one could make a world where one can't drop one's equipment, or
where one could hand a stat to someone else. Sure. If the lines were
trivially easy to draw we wouldn't be having this conversation. But
in either case we could probably come up with "internal" and
"external" attributes of someone- I'd argue that permadeath is
wiping the slate of the internal ones.

As you say, the question of identity is a tricky one, and an
important one. And likely not one that we'll get universal consensus
on.

Adam B