[MUD-Dev] Viewpoint and motion sickness was:Neverwinter Nights

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 00:36:10 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "rayzam" <rayzam at home.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Viewpoint and motion sickness was:Neverwinter Nights

> Luckily, there's a new solution coming out. A headset that sends
> electrical signals from behind your ears, which affects your sense
> of balance. One reason is to prevent motion sickness or
> vertigo. Also it's intended for some VR aspects.

Do you have any information on this product?  As another person who
is affected by "SimSickness," I am always interested in anything
about this subject.

Right about the time that EQ came out, lots of folks in the UO
newsgroup lamented that UO seemed to be the last mass-market mmorgp,
and that they would likely have to give up playing games once
everything went to 3D.  I did a little experiment on myself to find
out what did and did not make me sick.  The thread and the
experiment can be found here:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=fa0048cd42e447b8,29&seekm=36fe7a07%

I am sure a Lycos Search on "Simulator Sickness" will turn up a ton
of information on the subject, but I found this study by the
U.S. Army to be particularly interesting:

  http://www.cyberedge.com/4a7a.html

Madrona Tree.