[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Sun Jun 10 16:32:27 CEST 2001

According to Caliban Tiresias Darklock:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:40:38 -0700, "Freeman, Jeff"
> <jfreeman at verant.com> wrote:

>> Permadeath is impossible to implement because the players next
>> character might inherit something that his previous character
>> owned.

> No it isn't.

> You could kill the player when his character dies.

All this talk about off-line PK, and killing the player reminds me
of the novel "Octagon", by Fred Saberhagen (when he's not churning
Berserker stuff according to contract).

It's in the world of PBM games, but still. Octagon is in fact an AI
created by a player to manage its faction in a galaxy empire
game. Octagon, being relatively smart, figures out the best way of
beating an ennemy empire is by killing the player controlling it,
the few turns before the empire is switched to an "alternate player"
are disruptive enough to make attacks succesful.

Hmmm, anyone up to writing an AI to control a character in a PK game? :)

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!