[MUD-Dev] Summary of PvP attempts?

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Mon Jun 11 10:55:03 CEST 2001

According to Matt Mihaly:
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Koster, Raph wrote:
>>   Player-based: Free
>>
>>     * Anyone can attack anyone
>>     * Often accompanied by admin-based solutions
>>     * Does not scale to larger populations very well
>>     * Relies on social mechanics to curb grief player behavior
>>     * Reduction in audience of up to ~40%

> You think that low? I bet if you just ins'otituted open PK on
> Everquest as a whole, they would, within 20 months, lose more than
> half their audience.

Judging by what I know of the "carebears" (yeech) players, I can
tell you it wouldn't take more than 4 months to halve the
population. Not 20.  Changing the rules and social dynamics in such
a major way during the life of the game will alienate the players in
a big way.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!