[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Jun 12 23:59:00 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Chatterley" <mpchatty at hotmail.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 9:38 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

> When playing Muds, I love to be a magic user. Actually, that goes
> for all RPGs too (especially D&D). But, with most games, I find
> that my imagination is constricted to picking out which spells to
> use in which sequence in order to inflict maximum damage on
> Bubba. Oh, and which pretty coloured starbursts I want to see
> today. Or who I want to heal, and by how much.

<SNIP>

> On the more technical side, the portions of spells which can be
> played with are along the lines of: Range (touch, short, medium,
> long), Area (Caster, one target, targets within area, area
> itself), Base effect (damage, augment, afflict - where these
> encompass confusion, healing, harming, blinding, boosting
> stats/skills, shielding, and so forth), Element (fire, water,
> earth, air, energy) .. yadda.

It's a cool implementation. However, if you multiply out all those
types, you'll have a finite spell set. Which may still result in
picking out specific spells in a specific sequence.

I've noticed that the 'spell pack' to cast is dependent on the
monster and the implementation of the system for the npcs. Take an
effect like Paralyze. If it's powerful, it gets used a lot to
suppress the monster while others blast it. Or if it's effect lasts
long enough, paralyze, then blast, rinse and repeat.

However, harder NPCs are resistant to paralyze. The rate of it
occurring to a hard enough NPC is low enough that players won't use
it. In which case different spells are used.

My take is that the sequence of spells to use is based not on the
magic system per se, but on the monster implementation.

That being said, letting each mage mix and match the components to
make their own spells sounds like a very cool feature!

    rayzam