[MUD-Dev] Buying benefits

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jun 13 04:15:16 CEST 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Phillip Lenhardt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 08:12:59PM +0000, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> There are people who skip the buying credits part and make money
>> by speculating on the gold/credit exchange rate.

> Could you expand on this? Do you mean that these speculators trade
> gold for credits some days and credits for gold others repeatedly,
> amassing a larger aggregate value as time goes by? Are these deals
> done one-on-one or is there an actual open market where
> speculators compete for deals?

Yeah, they trade gold for credits some days and credits for gold
others. They may or may not amass a larger aggregate value. I mean,
it requires some level of sophistication to pull off, as well as
some luck on your side (sometimes the market is going to move
against you no matter what you do).

Currently the deals are done one-on-one. I actually wasn't aware
that anyone was doing the above (as opposed to just buying credits
from us in mass and profiting by selling them retail) until a couple
weeks ago. It's enough to prompt me to consider setting up a
credit/gold exchange.

One interesting thing I notice is that one of the larger barriers to
players doing this is that many players are fixated on 'round'
numbers. Like, 2000 gold/credit or 2500 gold/credit, and often don't
even really think about numbers in between.

--matt