[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

Trump trump at vividvideo.com
Wed Jun 13 09:26:27 CEST 2001

On Tuesday 12 June 2001 06:38 pm, Matt Chatterley wrote:

> A player wizard would take a bunch of reagents, some time, a bit of
> thought and imagination, and create a sequence of events and
> effects, which cumulate to the spell that he wants.

The best example of this that I have seen is an old game with CGA graphics
called The 4 Crystals of Trazere (or something like that).

The system worked a bit like this....

  There were directers and affecters.

  Directers were missile, forward, surround and continuous (actually
  this just repeated about 20 times).

  Affecters were damage, heal, paralize, anitmagic, enthrall, etc.

  There were certain illegal combinations, like surround, missile,
  contiunous.

So you'd make a spell like this

  Heal, forward, damage
  (heal yourself damage whatever was in front of you)

  Missile, surround, damage
  (basically like a classic fireball)

  Surround, continuous, paralize
  (makes a wall that paralizes anything that gets within 1 tile of you.

Each item in the sequence would take up a reagent so complex
sequences would get very expensive.

I have the manual at home which explains everything in detail.  If
you'd like I can send it to you or post it here for everyone to see.

Azeraab at dies-irae.org