[MUD-Dev] Viewpoint and motion sickness was:Neverwinter Night s

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Jun 13 09:34:13 CEST 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, rayzam wrote:

> This effect still occurs in a percentage of adults. Thus, visual
> input at times is more powerful than the vestibular system [and
> thus the effects of those 'virtual roller coasters']. For some
> people, the difference between the two makes them sick.

> As someone else pointed out, you could, through experience, get
> used to it. If you were motion sick, you probably couldn't. But if
> it's just simulator sickness without motion sickness, you can
> acclimatize/habituate to it. Just spend a little bit of time in a
> session, but not long enough to get sick [or stop as soon as you
> start feeling the least bit ill]. During that time, remind
> yourself that you're not moving, and try to pay attention to how
> your body actually feels [sitting upright, not moving]. Over time,
> it's likely to go away.

As far as i recall, adding realistic movement in the screen helps
your brain accept the virtual environment. I think this is part of
the reason the 'walking' motion of the point-of-view was introduced
(Doom?).

I would theorize that the more 'true' or more calm the simulation,
the easier it gets, while ultra fast rotation and ultra even paths
of the viewpoint controlled by the player will cause more
uncomfort. Also, i would guess that rotation may be the most
influential factor in the problem?

Does anyone have some article references for this, or any knowledge
of what else have been done to reduce the problem?

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|