[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 09:47:22 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Chatterley" <mpchatty at hotmail.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 2:38 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

> Welp, time for a new thread, methinks. I'm going to briefly
> outline some of the ideas which I'm working through at the moment,
> for a 'different' magic system.

> I've never found one quite like this in any game I've played (but
> if anyone out there *has*, I'd be intruiged to know where, so I
> can take a look at their implementation).

> I'm planning out a system whereby the Mud implementation holds the
> *components* of magical spells - effects, types of spell,
> elements, and so forth.

> A player wizard would take a bunch of reagents, some time, a bit
> of thought and imagination, and create a sequence of events and
> effects, which cumulate to the spell that he wants.

> On the more technical side, the portions of spells which can be
> played with are along the lines of: Range (touch, short, medium,
> long), Area (Caster, one target, targets within area, area
> itself), Base effect (damage, augment, afflict - where these
> encompass confusion, healing, harming, blinding, boosting
> stats/skills, shielding, and so forth), Element (fire, water,
> earth, air, energy) .. yadda.

I'm sure I've seen other examples, but I once made a magic system
along these lines as a means to differentiate clerics from
magicians. The latter had normal, prescribed spells a la D&D,
whereas the former could just make them up on the spot (using
similar base effects), and role against how much their god liked
them at the time to see if it succeeded...(you could try *any*
spell, but the composition rules made sure it became much less
likely to succeed the more complicated/powerful you made things).

I'll see if I can find any remnants of it and if so will post.

Adam M