[MUD-Dev] 3rd person text MUDs

Matt Owen MOwen at Channel4.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 11:16:12 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Caliban Tiresias Darklock [mailto:caliban at darklock.com]
Sent: 15 June 2001 01:28
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] 3rd person text MUDs

> The primary bonus is how easy it makes multiple characters and
> character-sharing; since you already have a conceptual gap between
> player and character, you can make the player and character
> objects completely separate. Then who "owns" the character and
> who's *using* the character can be two different things, just like
> having one and playing one can be two different things. Basically,
> while characters interact with the game world and the objects
> there, players can interact with characters in the same fashion --
> using them, borrowing them, even giving them away.

This concept reminds me of the original 'Dungeon Master' Graphical RPG
(which unfortunately just will not run on Windows), where each of the four
people in your group were referred to in the third person, even though you
had direct control over them as if they were you.

[This is my first delurk, after having read this list on and off for
over a year, I'm not much of a writer so please excuse the shortness
of my posts!]

Jaruzel.