[MUD-Dev] 3rd person text MUDs

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jun 15 12:18:23 CEST 2001

Hi,

With all this talk of 1st vs 3rd person graphical MUDs, and the
associated pros and cons, I've gotten to thinking about how this
might apply to text based games.

Every MUD I've ever seen worked in the first person "you do this",
"Bob laughs at you".

Has anyone tried it in the third person. Where you "look" in a room
and see your character from the outside?

Aside from making the code behind sending event messages to players
a little easier (guess what I'm writing at the moment) are there any
other advantages to this?

And yes, I suppose you could extend it to the player being able to
see things that the character cannot.

- Colin