[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

SavantKnowsAll at cs.com SavantKnowsAll at cs.com
Sat Jun 16 05:53:09 CEST 2001

In a message dated 6/14/01 6:18:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
daver at mythicentertainment.com writes:

> This is why there will be no UO-style Vendors in Camelot.  They
> greatly increase the efficiency of player to player commerce, but
> remove most, if not all, of the social interaction associated with
> it.  Since my primary purpose in setting up the economy was to use
> it as a socialization tool, Vendors became *too* convenient.

This topic (comunity) is really important to me, as I wrote a bit on
it once before (http://www.lumthemad.net/news/1654.php)

Unfortunately, when I reflected on the last great community I had in
my GS3 days, player commerce was not one of them.  Even in a rich,
roleplay enforced world as that, the trade channel was nothing but
spam - and when someone was selling something you found, you ran to
the bank, picked up money, ran to them, paid them, smiled, and took
off.  EQ's the same way -- East Commons is dreadful with
shouts/auctions turned on.

I really don't see player commerce as a socializing tool.

Daniel "Savant" Manachi