[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Freeman Freeman
Mon Jun 18 08:04:49 CEST 2001

> From: Freeman, Jeff

> To simply say that socialization requires downtime strikes me as a
> gross over-simplification.  It doesn't seem to me that the
> downtime is the reason people are socializing.  Coincident
> troughs, maybe.  And possibly coincident peaks as well.

Replying to myself, to sum-up:

I get the sense socialization has more to do with "pace" than with
"downtime".

Though even a slow-paced game activity is not sufficient, in itself.
There has to be some coincident activity which brings players
together and provides for meaningful interaction (more meaningful
than, say, an "auction zone").

A city being attacked in Ackadia generally lead to socialization
once the pace of the fight slowed.  People were in the same area,
doing the same thing, but not too busy to chat (as they were at the
beginning of the fight, say).

At the start of the fight, the pace was too quick for anyone to
chat.  At the *end* of the fight, people tended to go their separate
ways.  Once most of the mobs were dead and only a few remained,
strangers tended to socialize with one another.