[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Jun 18 09:49:36 CEST 2001

I decided to change my approach this weekend, and completely avoid
these missions. Instead I forged out and found a few traditional EQ
style outdoor camps (there are some, although not probably not
enough to support much of the playerbase). I actually found it a
fairly unpleasant experience, the lag was a large part of the
problem, in a full group (I forget if thats 6 or 8) it was
impossible to keep track of others locations. We tried to run
between two camps, and lag meant that it took about 45 minutes and
the use of a debug location command to congregate at the second
camp.

The lack of playernames hanging over peoples heads was again very
annoying.  It simply wasn't possible to recognise who was who. When
someone called for help, you can imagine the difficulty. This was
compounded by the very narrow field of view. I play 1st person games
a fair amount and I can play Quake3 or Unreal Tournament for 8 hours
without any problem - AO had given me a headache in about 2. This
was probably caused by having to spin round again and again trying
to work out where the group was attacking. Furthermore, and this
might be my EQ conditioning speaking, 'pulling' a mob out of the
camp was such a pain it wasn't worth it. They all use ranged weapons
so to move them out of the centre required entirely too much running
- in the end we just waded into the camp and hoped for the best.

I guess my main issue is that currently its very hard to play the
game well.  The interface has some serious limitations that mean,
however much you think tactically, implementing anything is simply
too difficult.

Dan