[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

shren shren at fnord.io.com
Mon Jun 18 14:49:53 CEST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com:

>> I just didn't meet people, you'd see someone else outside the
>> same cave as you trying to zone in, but when you both succeeded,
>> you were in different caves completing your own quests. Sure you
>> might have stood their bitching about the zoning not working too
>> well at the moment, but it was just in passing.

> That's probably the most damning feature of AO for me. The fact
> that we play in different dimensions, and there's no occasion to
> get into an area, find a few players there, and ask "what if we
> join forces?".

Hmm.  We seem to have two types of games at this point - games where
you are in the same area with everyone (UO, most muds, etc), and
games like AO and Diablo II, where everyone gets thier own copy of
the world.

I wonder if there's room for a middle ground, where you can choose
who you want to share your world with.  Say, players can join and
leave various clubs that will be in the same copy of a grographic
region when they go to that region.