[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Jun 19 09:43:30 CEST 2001

> From: Dave Rickey [mailto:daver at mythicentertainment.com]

> Before the noise ratio went to hell, buying and selling in EQ was
> very much a social activity, especially if you were looking for
> something in particular.  You'd ask around, try to find someone
> who had heard in guildchat that another guy had gotten a Silvery
> Scimitar the other day.  Then you'd try to talk that person into
> selling/trading for it.

That was back in the barter days whereby no one would accept coin
for anything of any worth. I don't recall players liking that much
either - I remember fsriends complaining constantly in guild chat
that some guy would have an item they wanted, but would only trade
it for x. Whilst amusing the first time, spending ages trying to
hook up both ends of the deal was actually pretty dull. Anyway,
hopeing for a small town feel in an MMORPG is probably optimistic
and financially unsound :)

Perhaps you have a communication system that makes this all a bit
easier.  The only thing that might concern me (not knowing your
implementation) is that it might make the market too transparent if
it is too efficient. Of couse too much transparency will completely
eliminate any hope of margin trading of items (whilst not something
that appeals to me, I have met many who enjoy it).

Dan