[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Jun 19 10:25:15 CEST 2001

> From: shren [mailto:shren at fnord.io.com]
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Vincent Archer wrote:
>> According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com:

>>> I just didn't meet people, you'd see someone else outside the
>>> same cave as you trying to zone in, but when you both succeeded,
>>> you were in different caves completing your own quests. Sure you
>>> might have stood their bitching about the zoning not working too
>>> well at the moment, but it was just in passing.

>> That's probably the most damning feature of AO for me. The fact
>> that we play in different dimensions, and there's no occasion to
>> get into an area, find a few players there, and ask "what if we
>> join forces?".

> Hmm.  We seem to have two types of games at this point - games
> where you are in the same area with everyone (UO, most muds, etc),
> and games like AO and Diablo II, where everyone gets thier own
> copy of the world.

> I wonder if there's room for a middle ground, where you can choose
> who you want to share your world with.  Say, players can join and
> leave various clubs that will be in the same copy of a grographic
> region when they go to that region.

Perhaps I should elaborate on the AO system. Most of the world is
shared in a standard EQ/UO/etc. manner, its only mission 'dungeons'
that aren't shared. However if you actively choose to go with
someone else on a mission, you can duplicate their mission key and
head in with them.

So remember 99% of the world is completely shared in AO.

Dan