[MUD-Dev] PK headaches

Ian Hess ianhess at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:20:30 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly wrote:

<detailed description of setting background snipped to
save space>

> Looks like there's another issue coming up to.  The collective
> Serpentlord guilds are asking for permission to kill and harrass
> anyone in possession of "illegal" venoms (Serpentlords produce the
> 25-30 types of venom by secreting it and then milking their
> fangs. The illegal bit is entirely their designation).

> It's a very cool idea, and we'll probably let them enforce the
> ban, within reason, but only providing that they are working
> towards a goal with the ban.  Ie, it can't just be to maintain a
> ban for the sake of a ban. Venoms are an integral part of combat
> for two other classes and are only obtainable from those of the
> Serpentlord class.

Would you allow the serpentlords to define a ban to reinforce the
political might of the guild?  I can empathize with players not
appreciating controls on their characters at time, and the related
social costs of customer support. It would seem to me that allowing
guild leaders to make and enforce political decisions could do
nothing but make for a richer, more detailed game for all four
bartle suits.

Might I ask why you would not allow some bans to be approved?

Ian Hess