[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jun 20 18:17:48 CEST 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:17:13 -0500 (CDT), shren
> <shren at fnord.io.com> wrote:

>> I'm formally coining the phrase, "Absolute Death", or ADeath, for
>> situations where:

> I like this idea. Let me clarify a few things I think need to be
> clarified, so I can pretend I had something to do with it. (Hey, I
> was a defense contractor. What do you expect?)

>>   A) The character database entry is unusable (closed).

> How about "The player's in-game persona is closed, rendering it
> unusable within the game"?

>>   B) The close came from a game feature and not a game bug.

> How about "The close is an expected consequence of expected
> in-game conditions"? Keeping in mind, of course, that "expected"
> refers to the developer's expectations of the *engine*, not the
> player's expectations of the *world*.

>>   C) The close is always irreversable.

> How about "The close is not reversible through in-game actions"?
> Theoretically, intervention on behalf of the system administrators
> should ALWAYS be able to recover characters in the event of a
> clause B violation.

I can restore characters while in the game in Achaea. Further, even
if I couldn't, I could add that feature in the future. It's not
possible to define a close as being irreversible through in-game
actions. It can be irreversible _at that moment_ through in-game
actions, but then you've got a situation where I can flick "absolute
death" on and off every day. I'll have absolute death one day, and
then the next day when I don't, I'll restore all the "absolute died"
characters, and then the day after claim to have absolute death
again. It becomes rather meaningless.

--matt