[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Wed Jun 20 20:33:08 CEST 2001

At 09:43 AM 6/19/01 +0100, Dan wrote:
>> From: Dave Rickey [mailto:daver at mythicentertainment.com]

>> Before the noise ratio went to hell, buying and selling in EQ was
>> very much a social activity, especially if you were looking for
>> something in particular.  You'd ask around, try to find someone
>> who had heard in guildchat that another guy had gotten a Silvery
>> Scimitar the other day.  Then you'd try to talk that person into
>> selling/trading for it.

> That was back in the barter days whereby no one would accept coin
> for anything of any worth.

I think Dave may be talking about before the time period you were
in.  Back when I played -- which was about 3 weeks after launch --
money was worth a LOT because people needed it for trade skills.
This is back when a ringmail jacket was 15pp, a mino axe was 12pp
and BLW was at least 150pp.

Back then, trade was VERY fun.  This is coming from a fletcher that
made a killing selling bows.  My character was quite the consummate
salesman =)

Brian Hook