[MUD-Dev] UDP vs TCP/IP

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jun 22 17:48:38 CEST 2001

Anyone got a take on UDP vs TCP for graphical MMORPGs?

I always assumed UDP was the obvious choice for the majority of the
data (if not all), seeing as old missed packets don't really need
resending for a lot of the information (do you care where player y
was standing 3 updates ago?).

I only raise this as I hear AO is using TCP/IP and I was
surprised. I guess it saves some work compared to UDP, you'd
certainly have to do some reliable delivery work at the application
level, losing chat messages etc. is just not acceptable.

In addition, I imagine TCP might increase ones bandwidth costs as
you don't have control of the resends.

Dan