[MUD-Dev] When the interface becomes the challenge.

Alex Kay yak at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 22 18:31:54 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 11:20 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] When the interface becomes the challenge.

> For me, the answer is chat and movement. So I want both of those
> available without modifier keys or modes. But many people
> different answers.

I admit that it's a mess. I find it very difficult in FPS' to do
anything other than 'move', almost never chatting. In EQ and other
MMOG's however, the action isn't quite so frenetic for the most
part, and there is normally plenty of time for chatting outside of
combat. (Combat isn't my focus in these games anyway, exploring is).

My argument is however, that there is still little reason to not at
least have the normal WASD + Mouse Look config as an option. Ideally
the controls should be completely customisable to appeal to the
broadest player base possible. I suspect that many players are like
me; a poor implementation of my preferred control method is enough
for me to shelve a game.

Alex