[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Fri Jun 22 23:27:57 CEST 2001

At 11:04 AM 6/22/01 +0100, Dan wrote:

> Definitely - its most certainly a two edged sword. In some ways
> though, it strikes me as closer to the VI vision (my
> interpretation at least) of how EQ should be played. Whereby you
> enter a dungeon and work through it :) Having said all this, the
> outdoor camps in AO aren't too disimilar to the outdoor camps in
> EQ.

In my experience there were two totally different social situations
in an EQ session, and the "ideal" world was completely different
depending on your context.

If I'm grouped, then I want the rest of the world but my group to
evaporate -- I have my localized social ties in place, and at this
point everyone else in the world, by and large, is a nuisance
fighting me for resources or chat bandwidth.

But when I'm not grouped and, presumably, looking for a group, I
like the ability to "solo with others" where even if not grouped we
can interact, occasionally help, barter, etc.  In other words, I'm
alone but I want the socialization there because otherwise I may as
well be playing Baldur's Gate. And, of course, the social
environment allows me to transition quickly to the "group focused"
environment.

Competing standards that need to co-exist.

Brian Hook