[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 23 00:43:09 CEST 2001

Awww.  It isn't so bad to be posting on semi-technical topics. :)

> We were planning in-game email in TGT as part of our Urchin
> Messenger system, but I can't find any documentation on it <sigh>.
> But wouldn't it be easy enough to put a time limit on in-game
> message retention, allowing players to forward or redirect stuff
> to their real world email addresses for keepers, if they chose.
> That would keep the storage space churning and not clogging.

Sure, but you need to watch out that the messages are still bounded
by some quota in that case so that they can't take up a lot of space
during that time.

If you make it quota-based, then you get to deal with new attack
vectors, like flooding someone's inbox to prevent them from getting
legitimate messages.

But, you could implement some basic filtering, and so on to try to
make that more difficult.  It does seem easier though to just treat
it as a forwarding system to their regular email address for a game
of sufficiently large scale.

Another concern might be the increase in bandwidth usage for the
sending and receiving of email and that it provides a legitimate way
for users to drive your bandwidth usage higher. (Assuming that
ping-flooding you isn't a legitimate way.)

  - Bruce