[MUD-Dev] Speech to Text, etc. (was: On socialization and convenience )

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 10:01:41 CEST 2001

> From: "Adam Martin" <amsm2 at cam.ac.uk>
> To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
> Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Speech to Text, etc. (was: On socialization and
> convenience )

> FYI I very much doubt that STT for eastern languages
> (e.g. Mandarin) is any harder than for western
> languages. Certainly inflection has a strong effect on meaning,
> but the work I've seen so far seems to indicate that that is not
> where the real difficulty lies anyway - the problem is more that
> with sloppy enunciation multiple words become almost
> indistinguishable (the system I refer to earlier claimed to be
> able to uniquely decode such situations more easily than current
> systems do).

Text-to-speech would be fabulous, but I think speech-to-text would
be terrible.  Read depositions sometimes - the amount of ums and uhs
and hmms will amaze you.  I think of the time my father said, during
a deposition, when someone was pushing records cart down the
hallway, "Holy S---!  Are we having an earthquake?!"  and the court
reporter kept on typing.

Come to think of it, though.. maybe seeing what we are actually
sounding like would be *good* for us.  :P The spoken word so easily
comes and goes, but the written usually makes a much bigger
impression.  What a tool for grade-schoolers...!

But really - good in theory, but I don't think it would work too
well for our application - especially when many of these muds are in
pseudo-medieval scenarios... can you imagine yourself having to
actually *say* thee and thou, without an um in between?  :)

Madrona Tree.