[MUD-Dev] When the interface becomes the challenge.

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Jun 25 10:07:10 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Hook <bwh at wksoftware.com>

> PC developers are notorious for screwing this up.  Console
> developers are much better at this kind of contextual usage
> because they've had to adapt to a limited input device.  Contrast
> climbing a ladder in a PC game vs. climbing a ladder in a console
> game.  In the former, it's usually some horrifying combination of
> jump/stick or walk+"crouch or jump".  It's ludicrous.

That's interesting....  One of the reasons I hate console games is
because of the way that the same interface actions can have totally
different results in different situations, that are not clearly
divided (what if there was someone behind that ladder I was trying
to shoot?).  IOW, exactly what you are considering a strength, I
consider a fatal flaw (I haven't owned a console since the 8bit
Sega).  I've always felt that the limitations of the console control
scheme was a major factor in why the games lack so much (to my
perception) in depth of gameplay, they couldn't add more actions to
an already overtasked interface.

--Dave Rickey