[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Tue Jun 26 16:07:42 CEST 2001

>"Freeman, Jeff" wrote:
>> From: Koster, Raph [mailto:rkoster at verant.com]

>> Jonathan Baron calls them microcommunities; he always wanted to
>> make a game where they were centered around a capital ship in
>> space. I would guess they fall under that theoretical magic
>> number of 250 in size.

> What's so great about that number anyway?  As I recall, that's the
> theoretical limit in community size before it breaks into
> sub-communities - which in theory makes it "as big as an online a
> community can get".

Collectives (as in political/economic collectives) run on around the
same number I believe. Back when I studied political theory more I
remember the Fagor collective in Spain (that still running? No idea)
which comprised of a total of around 20,000 workers or something was
divided into units no bigger than 500 or so people at a time for the
above reasons.

I would say the same may be true of Kibbutz? Hmm, there could be
commune/collectives theory floating around somewhere which has
influenced this number and resulted in the magic size quoted.

O, also, I'm working on a study on Wireless Games, anyone here
involved with this stuff? Would love to interview you, get in touch!

Peter Tyson