[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 29 09:18:49 CEST 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 grafx at innovativestudios.com wrote:

> I'm also dreaming about the revenue model that would support this
> one-on-one interaction of a qualified GM with a player group.

Well that's not hard. You could do pay per hour, a very high flat
monthly fee, a pay-per-GM-hour, etc. What's hard is finding
customers willing to pay for this. Fundamentally, you have to
understand that what you must do is get the customers to pay at
least enough to compensate the GM that is taking care of them, plus
your overhead. You won't be able to base that sort of model on
volunteers, as if the players perceive that they're paying primarily
for these moderated adventures, they will demand a rigorousness that
would be legally dangerous to impose on your volunteers. Now,
Simutronics, for instance, adds some nice incremental revenue from
selling the quests they run. They pay the people who do this a
trivial sum from what I understand. Their business isn't based on
that revenue though.

--matt