[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Fri Jun 29 09:23:52 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "J Todd Coleman" <warden at wolfpackstudios.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 7:22 PM

>> The computational load is actually fairly trivial.  At the SQL
>> end its 3 - 4 joins per entry, and you mostly need to do that
>> during rendering, not during entry.

> That would depend entirely on how the tables were organized --
> typically it's best to avoid joins at all cost, even with indexed
> tables.  When you're going for read optimization, throw all that
> "normalize to the highest degree possible" crap out the window.

I agree that avoiding joins is a plus, but if you're speaking about
commercial DBRMS like Oracle, this get down to a real little loss of
performance when using joins.

> SQL databases are great for organization later down the line (you
> get online editing, reporting and instant queries of your user DB
> almost instantaneously if you set it up correctly) but you still
> take a dramatic speed hit over using binary files. For this reason
> we're likely going to set up ours in more of a "data warehouse"
> approach, where the runtime files are stored on binary and pushed
> up to a "query database" into a handful of fully denormalized
> tables for help with speedy query/reporting.

Binary files are the way to go for fast data access, but the other
face of the medal is that you're going to have to take care of many
issues related to backups of large amounts of data, data
clusterization (if needed) and synchronizatin problems arise.

> Alternatively, I'm starting to look at the LDAP stuff to see if
> it's a viable alternative -- it certainly has promise, in that 1)
> it's fast, because the entire database is kept in memory and 2)
> it's specifically made for distributed server systems, so the
> whole "synchronization" issue (that leads to lost records, duping,
> and a plethora of other issues) is to a large degree
> resolved... theoretically.  Plus it isn't that expensive (in fact
> you get a 200k record version license when you buy Solaris.)  Like
> I said, though, I'm not as familiar with it, so it may have some
> huge holes I'm not aware of.

I'm not experienced with LDAP too, so I cannot say much. This issue
needs to be looked into deeper, but maybe it could be a good choice
if it really does what it's supposed to do :)

--
Valerio Santinelli
HateSeed.com Founder (http://www.hateseed.com)