[MUD-Dev] Player run systems (was Player run reputation system)

John Hopson jhopson at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 29 11:05:16 CEST 2001

At 05:54 AM 6/29/2001, J C Lawrence wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, John Hopson wrote:

>> The nice thing about this is it takes all the burden off the game
>> and its administrators.  Don't like the rating system?  Create
>> and promote your own.  Wish there were a system rating OOC
>> roleplaying ability player rather than IC criminality?  Go for
>> it.  The system becomes whatever the players want/need it to be.

> Doncha love soft code systems?

Love 'em.  I'm currently in the process of getting ready to open my
second rp mud, Azhad, and this time around we spent a lot of time
putting in these sort of flexible, user-defined and -maintained
systems.  The following is a snippet describing one of those
systems, hereby offered for list consumption/praise/ridicule.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The basic unit of the game portion of Azhad is a faction.  A faction
is an in-character group that can consist of any number of players.
They can be any sort of organization, including: a family, a guild,
a band of mercenaries, the staff of an inn, a troupe of actors, a
political faction, a school of philosophy.

The internal structure of a faction can be anything the faction
wants.  When the faction is created, the founder is given all the
faction abilities, such as the ability to initiate new members,
withdraw funds from the faction bank account, and to cause people to
be arrested within their areas.  Using a coded "delegate" command,
they can then delegate any or all of these abilities to other
faction members.

If the founder wishes, the faction can be a purely democratic
organization where all members have all of the abilities, or an
autocratic group where only the founding leader has any authority.
This also allows for members of the faction to receive a tailored
set of abilities, so a faction's guard captain might have the
ability to initiate new guards, withdraw money for their pay, and to
arrest troublesome opponents.  The faction's accountant might only
have those commands related to money, and so on.  Even the ability
to delegate itself can be delegated, so the guard captain could
empower his guards.  This is regulated by the fact that a character
can only delegate abilities that they possess.

There is also a complementary "revoke" ability, which can also be
delegated.  Once someone has been given the revoke command, none of
their abilities can be revoked.