[MUD-Dev] Link to Virtual Reality Transport Protocol

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Thu Mar 1 19:59:44 CET 2001

Here is a link for you transport protocol designers that you may want to
look at (http://www.web3d.org/WorkingGroups/vrtp/).   I warn you though
is that you will eventually be directed to look at Bamboo.  I also tried
to build Bamboo once, but it requires the NSPR (Netscape Portable
Runtime) and at the time I couldn't find a copy if it.

But it might be useful to have a working group in mud-dev that is
involved with some of these protocols and possibly looking at ways to
use existing tools.  For example, XML-RPC has libraries for Java and
Python and maybe some other languages.

Some people here have also suggested going with some form of XML and
that sound like a good approach.  Possibly do what VRML has done with
X3D where there is both a text and a binary definition.

Actually I think the VRTP project is dead, but it's worth going
through the documents for ideas and maybe even some "borrowing".
There are also links to DIS-Java-VRML and that will eventual lead you
to some of the DIS definitions.

I barely understand all that VRTP stuff, but the pictures are pretty.

frank