[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Mar 1 21:47:12 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Littlejohn" <darius at bofh.net.au>

> What about blind players?  What about people on palm pilots, or WAP
> phones?  No point in making a "new mud standard" unless you address
> usability issues such as this - otherwise, you're building yet
> another customised client for your mud, not a standard way for all
> muds and clients to chat.

I'm not aware of any current muds that support WAP, although there
probably is some form of a telnet program for palm pilots.  There are
audio dictation utilities available for blind people... but I agree,
any new standard you try to implement must be able to address
usability.  The best way to do this imho is to give plenty of room for
extension.  The xml protocol that I'm evisioning definitely allows for
that.

-- Kwon Ekstrom