[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Wed Mar 7 11:08:00 CET 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Freeman, Jeff wrote:
>> From: the_logos at www.achaea.com [mailto:the_logos at www.achaea.com]

>> But wasn't Sierra's LOTR 'permadeath' really not permadeath? Didn't
>> most of the work and time invested in the character go to amember
>> of that character's family, who the player then took over?

> You can see the same thing on the SWG boards - players asking for
> permadeath.  I suspect a *lot* of that audience (and LOTR's) aren't
> MUD players, and don't really realize what they are asking for.  You
> don't see people asking for it on the UO2 boards, for example, and
> certainly not on any boards associated with EQ.  If or when there's
> a Harry Potter message board, I bet people start asking for
> permadeath in Harry Potter Online.  But that's because they are fans
> of Star Wars, or Harry Potter, or LOTR, or whatever - as opposed to
> being fans of massively multiplayer online gaming.

> I think it's just the audience.  Fans of the setting ask for
> permadeath.  Fans of multiplayer online gaming don't.

I don't think that has anything to do with any inherent nature of
massive MUDs. I think it has a lot to do with the derivative nature of
UO, EQ, and AC, which are all more or less the same game (go out, bash
monster, get equipment that allows you to go out, bash more monsters,
etc. Maybe bake some bread or bully a newbie here and there.)

EQ is just one type of graphical MUD. There will be others.

--matt