[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #271 - 30 msgs

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Mar 8 11:20:06 CET 2001

On 07 March 2001 20:51, Richard A. Bartle wrote:

> So it is with characters in most graphical MUDs. The players are
> told that the higher levels are an achievement, but there's nothing
> to back that up. Any dolt can get one just by spending enough
> money. Players who get to the top levels first are happy to go along
> with the charade, but once the population of maxed out characters
> gets too big they won't be.

> PD gives value to high-level characters. It supports the assertion
> that obtaining one is an achievement. No-one can debase the
> currency.

I would have to contest this point, even in the context of Everquest
which seems to be largely derided on this list. It's been my
experience of playing that 90% of people don't get to the high levels,
there is a natural churn process as people lose interest and move out
of the game. Thus high levels are an achivement. In fact it surprised
me that the game isn't totally made up of level 40+'s now, but thats
just not the way its worked out. When I play a secondary, I'm always
stunned by how many true newbies I meet (yes there are twinks too, but
I don't have a problem with that either).

If you are looking for validation merely for being a high level
character, then you won't receive it from those you tend to associate
with as they too are high level. If that really floats your boat then
head to a lower level zone and you'll get it. When you do though,
you'll be disappointed with the begging (I tend to associate this with
8 year olds used to nagging their parents and getting their way).

The main form of validation in EQ though is from going to zones and
conquering monsters that other people simply can't. People complain
that its unfair, but at the same time have respect for the abilities
of those that do. This tends to yield equipment that others won't have
as well, so there are added visual clues.

Now people tend to claim this is all about who you know, not how you
play.  Sure there is an element of having the right connections, but
they tend to stem from playing and interacting with others well. Most
people don't know each other out of game.

This validation may not work for everyone, but it works for me
:). After all some of these zones that I travel to have the risk of
complete equipment loss if things go wrong (and guides/gms aren't
allowed to assist as a policy even if its a bug). Obviously thats not
as severe as PD, but with the rarity of good equipment (at least
relative to games like AC) even that would be enough to drive some to
quit.

Dan