FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Thu Mar 8 10:37:23 CET 2001

According to the_logos at www.achaea.com:

> What I'm concerned with is the player experience. I don't see which
> group of players your method of doing things appeals to. Certainly
> not roleplayers, and certainly not GoP players. GoP players will
> just think it's silly to worry about in-character vs. ooc knowledge,
> and roleplayers will want to know why, when their character DOES
> know something (because he's been told by 50 other characters who
> have already done the quest), the game tells them the character
> doesn't. It's taking single-player mechanics and pretending that
> you're still playing a single player game.

Basically, until you have an AI that analyses each in-game sentence to
detect if knowledge is passed, you can't.

If you had a snooping AI, however, you could make use of this game
mechanic.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!