[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 13:25:21 CET 2001

Wednesday, March 07, 2001, 6:04:46 AM, the_logos at www.achaea.com <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services wrote:
>> Jeremy Gaffney wrote:

>>> So one could argue that permadeath hurts/disincentivizes
>>> roleplayers from playing and encourages players who form minimal
>>> attachment to a given character and are efficiency experts at
>>> regaining levels - powergamers.  Which is interesting given how
>>> often permadeath is stated as being a roleplaying-driven desire.

>> C'mon.  Give roleplayers a bit more credit.  Not all who like RP
>> insist on playing "Wylie Coyote," picking themselves up after being
>> blown up, flattened, or making that little silhouette in the ground
>> when falling from a great height, ready to chase after the Road
>> Runner and try again.

> Quite right. Permadeath should have no real effect on a 'pure'
> roleplayer, as pure roleplaying is about the process of playing the
> role and the enjoyment gained from simply acting, not about some goal
> like keeping your character alive.

Even without a goal of keeping your character alive, it is possible to
feel sorrow for the loss of something that has given you joy.  I do
not have a "goal" in my relationship with my father, but when he dies,
I will be sad that he's no longer around to talk to, do things with,
play with my daughter, etc.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>