[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

shren shren at io.com
Thu Mar 8 16:03:50 CET 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, shren wrote:

>> So maybe 10% understood the ramifications of the AC spell system in
>> time to realize that sharing spells might not be a good idea.  The
>> other 90% wrote hint books online, because that's what you do with
>> computer games, after all.

> They wrote hint books online because that's what people do in
> life. It has nothing to do with computer games. Considering how into
> the general open-source movement many people on this list are, it's
> amazing to me how many people on this list want to fight in vain
> against the spread of information and think 1) it's a good idea and
> 2) it's possible.

There's some information people spread around, and some information
that people don't.  Most people don't openly spread information that
would shock or hurt people, and there are other things that "you just
don't talk about."  I also gather this openess is a cultural thing,
and many a person has stared at an American in amazement as he tells
his whole life story to a total stranger.

I don't reveal the cards in my hand when I'm playing Bridge.  It's
because the game is a competitive game, and it's in progress.  Or, if
you prefer, I don't tell someone the end of the story that they are
reading.  People used to see MUDs like this.  Some people still do - I
had a guy respond to a question I asked on a web board with, "Come
talk to me in person.", and when I met him, he told me a huge secret,
a very powerful strategy.

Information is sometimes shared, and sometimes isn't, depending on the
circumstances.